Wednesday 3 August 2016

Student Post: Studying Sociology and Making a Difference

This post is written by Verostina Antwi who recently graduated from Keele. Verostina was awarded the Sociology undergraduate dissertation prize as her dissertation received the highest mark in her year group. Her dissertation was titled, 'Black Skin, 'Carved' Mask: Sense of belonging and identity amongst second generation West African immigrants in the UK'.
Verostina celebrating her graduation from Keele
  
My three years at Keele have been a fantastic time where I have seen my studies come to life through the continuous opportunities that I have been presented with. While studying my degree in Sociology and International Relations I actively participated in the University community to make a difference. During my time at Keele I served as a Keele University Ambassador, Kube Radio Presenter, and a Residential Support Assistant. I also spent a semester studying abroad in Sweden.
The unique opportunities presented at Keele gave me an opportunity to develop as well as well as engage with social issues. I am dedicated to helping others and have worked on projects at local, national and international levels including my role as Chair of the Economics and Finance committee in the 2015 Model UN in Sweden.

Additionally, for the last three years I have worked in the field of broadcast journalism where I have advocated for humanitarian and ethical issues engaging in major debates on issues such as human trafficking and child poverty. As a result of my role I had an opportunity to interview many representatives of government and non-governmental organisations discussing solutions to many of these issues.

Keele has certainly had an impact in my life. I have left knowing that I have had the best experience in a lifetime.

No comments: